You cannot cross Parma without enjoying a walk in the Parco Ducale, just as apparently loved to do Giuseppe Verdi.
Place visited by tourists and parmesans of all ages, it was built by the Farnese family in the sixteenth century and ows its classicist setting to architect Petitot and to the past actions of Maria Luigia.
Among the avenues adorned with statues, fountains and artificial ruins of almost romantic taste, it still seems to see Verdi walk in search of inspiration for one of his great works, or the Duchess Maria Luigia, who loved to draw in this park.
The Ducal Garden , which has once again been transformed back to its 18th century aspect, was an idea of Ottavio Farnese, Duke of Parma and Piacenza towards 1560, who requested a park for the villa that had once been an ancient manor land with rosemary and myrtle bushes, oak, sycamore and pine trees, fruit trees and vegetables, many potted citrus trees that were placed in heated rooms in the wintertime, and also fish ponds and small woods.
The construction of the big fish pond, the lake at the park’s center, was made upon request by Ranuccio II in 1690, a naval battle representation in occasion of the marriage of his first-born son, Odoardo with the daughter of the Palatine Elector.
Only in 1749 with the arrival of Filippo di Borbone the park was completely redone upon the project of Ennemond Alexandre Petitot , with sculptures of Jean Baptiste Boudard and Pierre Costant .
In the 18th century project there was the idea of placing statues and false forest and arcade constructions throughout the park, keeping in fashion with the epoch. There are twelve statues and five monumental vases done in marble of Carrara all by Jean-Baptiste Boudard (1710-1768).